Tecno is one of the brands that Chinese tech giant Transsion uses in its overseas markets – most importantly, in Africa. The brand is probably best known for its Camon series – a genre-leading range with a clear focus on the camera experience. However, there is also the Phantom line, which has been more or less spun off into its own separate entity. A device that aims to deliver truly groundbreaking devices and experiences.
Last year saw the launch of the original Phantom X, and now the Phantom X2 series is here. It has two models in its lineup – the vanilla Phantom X2 and the Phantom X2 Pro. We currently have the latter in the office for a full revision treatment.
The Phantom X2 Pro is a device that truly stands out from its eye-catching and attractive ergonomic design through its flagship internals with MediaTek Dimensity 9000 chipset, its large battery and even its spotlight featuring a retractable portrait camera.
A glimpse of the specifications of the Tecno Phantom X2 Pro:
- the body: 164.6 x 72.7 x 8.9mm, 201g; Glass front (Victus Gorilla Glass), metal frame, plastic back.
- Show: 6.80 “AMOLED, resolution 1080 x 2340 pixels, aspect ratio 19.5: 9, 379 ppi.
- Slices: Dimensions MediaTek 9000 (4 nm): Octa-core (1×3.05 GHz Cortex-X2 & 3×2.85 GHz Cortex-A710 & 4×1.80 GHz Cortex-A510); Mali-G710 MC10.
- memory: 256 GB 12 GB RAM LPDDR5X.
- Operating system / software: Android 12, iOS.
- back camera: wide (main): 50 MP, f/1.9, PDAF; Telephoto (retractable 2.5x zoom): 50 MP, 64mm, F/1.5, PDAF; Ultra wide angle: 13 megapixels, with an F / 2.2 lens, autofocus.
- front camera: 32 MP, (wide).
- Video capture: back camera: 4K @ 30/60fps, 1080p @ 30fps; front camera: yes.
- battery: 5160mAh 45W wired.
- Miscellaneous: Fingerprint reader (under display, optical).
The Phantom X2 Pro is clearly focused on photography, which we’ll definitely explore. It also positions itself as an eco-friendly phone with one eco-friendly version of the device using recycled ocean plastic for its back cover.
Overall, the Phantom X2 Pro is a decent flagship device that doesn’t skimp on any particular part of its specs sheet. Some of its other features include a 6.8-inch, 120Hz AMOLED display, dual-SIM support, a 5,160mAh battery, and 45W fast charging — all housed in a relatively compact body.
Unboxing Tecno Phantom X2 Pro
Before we explore the phone itself, let’s look at the retail box first. We cannot be certain that the press kit we received will be identical to the retail box users will receive. This is worth taking into account. What we got was a large two piece cardboard box. A very powerful one, great to see.
Inside, beside the phone, which is in its own cradle, we also find a 45W charger, a Type-C cable to go with it, a hard case with stand and a pair of nice-looking earphones with a built-in mic. .
The case in particular stands out for its design, which is a tad louder than any other case we’ve seen bundled for free with the phone.